PSI is pleased to present the updated report entitled “Tackling Violence in the Health Sector - A Trade Union Response”, a consolidated research effort first released in 2016. The 2018 updated version of the study integrates the latest achievements of our affiliated unions in the health sector.
- Read this in:
The workers, many of whom are women, daily face ever-increasing levels of violence and harassment in the world of work. They respond and deliver quality service with deepest commitment and ethical principles.
The public health sector around the world is facing the biggest challenges in history because of the new organization of working processes, the growth in precarious work, decreased numbers of workers, lack of public investment, restructuring of services, and the challenges of privatization and public-private partnerships (PPPs).
In this context, violence and harassment in the working environment, and especially from third parties, is a worrying and serious issue for healthcare workers and their unions. Those who work in healthcare are predominantly women. Gender-based violence is a real issue – a serious threat to their safety and to their lives.
The study deeply contributes to the international trade union movement’s campaign for the adoption of a new ILO Convention and Recommendation on Violence and Harassment in the World of Work. The first discussion will take place in the International Labour Conference (ILC) in 2018 and will for sure finally succeed in the ILC of 2019, shining a bright light on the centenary celebrations of the International Labour Organization.
For more information:
- PSI Campaign page: STOP Gender-based violence at work!
PSI Report - "Tackling violence in the Health Sector - A Trade Union Response":
Case studies on violence at work:
- Congo (DRC): Solidarité Syndicale des Infirmiers du Congo (SOLSICO) - (Download PDF)
Video: Interviews SOLSICO (DRC) activists in health care (on YouTube) – in French, subtitled in English
- Argentina: Asociación Sindical de Profesionales de Salud de la Provincia de Buenos Aires (CICOP) - (Download PDF)
Video: Workshop on Violence in the Workplace (on YouTube) – in Spanish, subtitled in English
- Philippines: Alliance of Filipino Workers (AFW) - (Download PDF)
- Pakistan: All Sindh Lady Health Workers and Employees Association (ASLHWEA) - (Download PDF)
- ILO, ICN, WHO, PSI Framework Guidelines: Framework guidelines for addressing workplace violence in the health sector available for download in English - French - Russian - Spanish
- ILO: Towards a standard against violence and harassment in the world of work
Governing Body of the ILO: Outcome of the Meeting of Experts on Violence against Women and Men in the World of Work